Friday, February 18, 2005

The Capital (Annapolis, MD), February 14, 2005, Monday

Copyright 2005 Capital-Gazette Communications, Inc.
The Capital (Annapolis, MD)

February 14, 2005 Monday

SECTION: TEEN PULSE; Pg. C1

HEADLINE: Animosity grows towards Arabs, Muslims

BYLINE: REEM DUGHLY, Severna Park High School

BODY:
"Go back to where you came from." These seven words hit me with unbelievable force leaving me winded as I stood at the gas station register with my father. For a moment I was unable to comprehend what was said or even recognize that it was directed at me. What did this man mean, go back to where I came from? Where did I come from? Millersville, Md., which I had called home for the past nine years? Waterloo, Iowa, where I had grown up for eight years? Philadelphia, where I was born? Then I realized what had warranted this greeting as well as the string of expletives that followed it: my race and religion.
This is just one incident of many highlighting the increased animosity towards Arab and Muslim Americans following the tragedy of 9/11 and the wars both in Afghanistan and Iraq. These tragic circumstances have brought Muslim and Arab Americans to the forefront of American society, to be scrutinized for the actions of an entire people. The majority of people, uneducated about the Muslim religion and the Arab culture, have grown to fear them. Today, the words "Muslim" and "Arab" are often associated with terrorism, leading to mass stereotyping and intolerance.
Often times I walk through the hallways of my high school, an institution known for its prestigious academics, and hear words of ignorance and prejudice that leave me awestruck. Exclamations such as "We should just nuke all those Muslims!" have grown increasingly common, as students base their judgments on stereotypes, failing to put a human face to the race and religion they so readily condemn.
Unfortunately, this sentiment also remains apparent outside the confines of high school walls. Prior to the political developments involving Muslim and Arab Americans, people felt comfortable questioning my mother or myself about the religious headscarf she wears. Now, however, walking through stores we are sometimes met with the whispers and angry glances of strangers, who allow fear to dictate their judgments.
Although aware of this increased animosity towards Muslim and Arab Americans, I had not truly considered how such prejudice could affect my life. I was rudely awakened to my situation when I began applying to colleges just a few months ago. Presented with a number of essay topics, many of which dealt with diversity, I felt that being of a different cultural background, I would be well equipped to write a unique essay. When I offered these essay questions to my parents, however, they refused to let me write them for fear that my cultural background and religious beliefs would leave me vulnerable to the prejudices of others.
When I explained this dilemma to my friends, they
were genuinely appalled, for they could not fathom the growing ill will towards Muslim and Arab Americans. Unfortunately, this sentiment appears to be becoming the norm.
According to a recent study at Cornell University, 44 percent of Americans believe that restrictions should be placed on the civil liberties of Muslim Americans.
The poll was commissioned by the Media and Society Research Group, in Cornell's Department of Communication, and supervised by the Survey Research Institute, in Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations.
The results were based on 715 telephone interviews of respondents across the United States, and the poll has a margin of error of 3.6 percent. The response, reminiscent of the days of World War II and Japanese internment camps, brings to light American society's underlying fear of Muslims and Arabs.
Sadly, this attitude towards Muslim and Arab Americans will persist, as people continue to feed their fears with intolerance and hatred. Misconceptions will continue to grow until they are dispelled by truth, which currently falls on ears overflowing with stereotypes.
I believe that a change to this situation can only be brought about through education and the search for truth. Thereby, I encourage you, the reader, to question the information presented to you by the media and examine your own beliefs prior to passing judgment on a people outside your boundaries of familiarity. Through the unanimous application of this social and self-discovery, a true sense of tolerance may be restored to society, allowing our individual differences to unite us.